Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tips from the Tile: Concealer


The clients I work with are typically women that use makeup in their day to day life to enhance their features naturally; I get the occasional beauty junkie that knows every product backwards and forwards, but thats pretty rare. This is the usual, "How do I hide these monsters?" points at under eye area with the look of dread. It is always surprising how many women ask questions about basic makeup application, hence why I'm here to do this post! 
I want to start a series, Tips from the Tile, about the most asked questions I get at work or from friends. Today I bring you concealers, one of my loves. I mean who doesn't want perfect skin?! We all have those late nights whether they're filled with shenanigans, tossing and turning or maybe a screaming baby; bags and dark circle are inevitable. Concealer will help hide tired eyes, can brighten up the entire face and take years off aging eyes. So here are my top tips: 

  1. Don't buy a foundation to do a concealers job, they're different products for a reason. Especially for the under eye area. 
  2. Concealer CAN be applied over foundation, you'd be surprised how many women look at me like I have ten heads when I let them in on this. 
  3. Apply concealer in a "V" shape under the eye. Trust me this looks waaaay better than the half-moon shape. 
  4. It is okay to use a lighter concealer under the eye, it will give you a brighter look. This is why you should make sure you apply in a "V" and blend so that it looks natural. *I love the Beauty Blender for this*
  5. If you're concealing deep set under eye bags then use a product that is lighter than your skin and place directly in the deepest crease or hollow and blend. This will lighten the area and bring it forward, therefore reducing the appearance bagginess.  
  6. To set under eye concealer use a finely milled powder, this will reduce creasing. (Bare Minerals Well Rested powder is nice for this)
  7. If you use an extremely thick concealer under the eyes it will more than likely settle into fine lines and crease. So use sparingly. 
  8. Concealing on the face: if you're trying to conceal acne or scarring you can apply a concealer that matches your skin before and after foundation using the stippling technique to provide maximum coverage.  


Smashbox BB Cream Eyes is my current favorite to use on myself and clients alike, its not heavy  and is extremely hydrating! Another great option is the Maybelline Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer, its extremely brightening so it's wonderful for those tired eyes. 


Happy Concealing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment